Tuesday, January 16, 2018

[Top Ten Tuesday] 2018 Reading, Writing, & Blogging Resolutions


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week we are talking about resolutions! It's officially 2018 which means it's time for some resolutions! Each year I try to make reasonable resolutions for myself, and I feel like I have done a good job keeping up with them. In this post I will first discuss my goals from last year and see if I was successful in sticking with my reading goals from 2017. Then I will list resolutions for my reading, my writing, and my blogging. These are the three things I feel like most of my focus will be going to in the next year, and I am hoping by the end of the year I feel like I have read a lot of great books, have finished my first novel, and I have improved and expanded my blog.

First, my goals from last year. I am going to list them and write a sentence or two about it and then move on, because I don't want it being too long!

Past Goals/Resolutions


Read as many books on my kindle as I can. So, this was definitely a fail. I used my kindle a fair amount but not as much as I really wanted to. I am hoping I can keep chipping away at the too many books on my kindle shelves.

Participate in more TBR take downs and read-a-thons. I actually realized this year that I don't think read-a-thons or even take downs are a good mesh for me. I will always participate in the BookTube-A-Thon and maybe one or two other events but overall I think they push me into a reading slump.

Don't put off books I'm excited to read. Kind of. I need to be better this year because I didn't do it as well as I wanted to. I put off a lot of books I wanted to read but they were "too big".

Read at least 80 books. Yep! I read 109 book in 2017. 

Write longer more detailed reviews. Yep! I think not only have my reviews have improved, but they have also gotten to a good length, and they have been detailed.

Keep up on Books Amino. Kind of. I realized that Books Amino isn't my favorite community anymore, and I may be a bit too old for the app or something. However, I do post in the app often and I try to like/comment on some of the posts that catch my eye and interest me. I am not too upset about only half accomplishing this one.

Start a book blog & keep up with it. Yep! There was a moment in the middle of the year I took a bit of a break, and November was focused on NaNoWrMo more than the blog, but I kept with it and I am proud of myself.

Read more diversely. Most definitely. So many of the books I read in 2017 were diverse!

Read books that teach me something new. Yes, I have learned a lot in 2017. I am excited to learn more in 2018.

Re-read without feeling any guilt. Eh, I wish. I need to be less guilty and hard on myself. I kept thinking about my wrap ups being all re-reads and the list of unread books on my list. I plan on being better in 2018.

Keep a reading journal & stick with it. Nope, but now that I am not on Goodreads I think I'll be better at it.

Read five books outside my comfort zone. Kind of, I think I need to stop being intimidated of sci-fi and just try it out. It's the one genre I seem to steer clear of.


2018 Reading & Blogging Resolutions


1.  Not to stress over my reading goal.  Although I know how many books I'd like to read. I am not going to let myself obsess over getting there by the end of the year. I honestly just want to get to 2019 and think "Wow. I picked up so many books I wanted to read and always put off!" I know it's hard with all the amazing 2018 releases I am excited for, but I need to try.

2. Do not apologize or feel guilty for less reviews each month. In my wrap-ups, I am always saying stuff like "I know I only read four books" or something like that. Instead I need to focus on how many books  I did read. Whether it be one or seven. I also don't want to focus on the books I decide to DNF. I will either put it back on my TBR for a future date if I think I'd like to try it again or forget about it entirely.

3. Find & read diverse fantasy books. The reason why I didn't read a lot of fantasy in 2017 is because fantasy isn't known for being extremely diverse, unfortunately. However, I think that is changing especially with books like The Belles and Children of Blood and Bone coming out. I just want to read more fantasy.

4. Read more books I own, whether that be on my kindle or on my shelves. This is a goal I had in 2017 and I don't think I did as well as I wish I would have. It's just so tempting when you have a library with so many amazing books. But this year I am hoping to get to all the books that pop in my head when  I think about my unread books. I bought them or was gifted them for a reason.

5. Be more active in the blogger community. I want to focus on commenting and interacting with the blogs I have been reading the last year. I read so many but I always find myself second guessing commenting. I know it's probably my anxiety that is stopping me from clicking "publish" but I write out a comment, and then immediately second guess myself and delete it. This year I want less of that.


Writing Resolutions


1. Edit my novel over and over again.  I really need to focus on my novel this year. I want to at least have it completely finished/edited before the year is over. And I need to stop wanting to do other writing projects because the thought of editing and finishing this one intimidates me.

2. Journal more. This is one  I need to really kick my butt into gear about. I am hoping at least two times a week just so I have some writing from my thoughts and life to look back on. My mental health has been a bit of a roller coaster and I thought maybe writing would not only help but I would hopefully see myself improve mentally.

3. Be more open with others reading my novel. I would love to get other people's opinions on my novel after I've edited it a couple [million] times. It kind of terrifies me to have other people read this thing I have put so much of myself into, but I need to be brave because it'll only get better if more people can give me feedback on it.

Hopefully I can focus on really working on these resolutions. I have four less than last year (and two less than the ten I'm supposed to have on this post - sorry!) and they're more specific and focused on things I feel like would make me a better reader, writer, and blogger. I am going to write them in my planner so I can see them often. If you participate in yearly resolutions, tell me what reading, writing, and/or blogging resolutions you are striving for this year!

Thanks for reading!



12 comments:

  1. It looks like you hit a lot of your 2017 goals out of the park!! This year, I am trying to be more active in the blogging community and reading more of the books I already own too! Good Luck on your 2018 Bookish Resolutions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah those two are definitely two of my biggest ones!! Thank you so much and good luck on your resolutions too!!

      Delete
  2. Oooo I *love* that you have your goals from last year and can reflect back on them. I was blogging this time last year but didn't set any specific goals/ make a post about them. So I'm excited to be able to do the same in 2019. Being a more active blogger is a goal of mine in 2018 as well. I started out blogging about books but then became really fond on IG and YouTube. Just like anything, it takes practice to get good at it, especially if you've been away from it for a while - like I have :/ Good luck with accomplishing your goals in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I agree about it taking practice!! Hopefully you have better luck keeping up with being active in the blogging world! :D <3

      Delete
  3. OOh nice set of goals! You can totally achieve all of these this year! Good luck to you!

    Thanks for visiting my post too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some great resolutions. I've been thinking about being more interactive with other bloggers myself and should maybe go add that to my list!

    Have a wonderful week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah! I definitely need to be more active in the community. It was one of the main reasons I even started blogging! I need to push through the anxiety and just comment! :D Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with all of your resolutions! Those are definitely some good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Read as many books on my kindle as I can." hahahaha ooooops. I failed on that one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah right!? Whooops! This year hopefully we are at least a little better? :P

      Delete